Is Honey Safe for Dogs?
Honey is more than just a delicious addition to our diet. If you are like me, you use it for nearly everything, from soothing a sore throat to preventing seasonal allergies. But you may be wondering: is honey safe for dogs? And what are the benefits of honey for dogs? Is there a specific way to use honey for dogs and pets?
Table of Contents
Is Honey Safe For Dogs?
Yes! Honey is a safe food for dogs. Honey can be ingested orally or can be used topically on the skin. However, because it is sweet, you should limit your dog’s oral intake of honey to 1 tablespoon or less per day to prevent tooth decay and obesity.
Benefits of Honey For Dogs
Just like in people, honey can help a wide variety of issues, including:
- Allergies, including both seasonal allergies and skin allergies. Local honey fights seasonal allergies by introducing small amounts of pollen from local trees and plants into the body, which teaches your body how to handle them (almost like a vaccine!).
- Cuts, burns, and scrapes. Honey works to repair damaged skin cells and injuries and can be more effective than other topical treatments. It also works as an antibacterial and disinfectant for wounds.
- Digestive issues. Small amounts of honey can help with digestive issues like diarrhea and vomiting because it works as an anti-inflammatory.
- Hot spots and bug bites. The anti-inflammatory properties also come in handy when treating hot spots and bug bites, especially when combined with CBD.
- Kennel cough (or really, any type of cough). Honey coats the throat and makes it easier to swallow, and the antibacterial properties can help fight kennel cough.
How do I give my dog honey?
If you are going to use honey to deal with an internal issue, you can give your dog 1 tablespoon of local honey per day. It can be mixed directly into their food, although most dogs enjoy the taste of honey and will lick it off of a spoon. Remember: local honey is always best for oral ingestion because it contains local pollen to help your dog build an immunity to seasonal allergies.
You can also apply honey directly to the skin. However, remember that since dogs enjoy the taste of honey, they may want to lick it off, so you may need to cover the area with a bandage.
The benefits of honey are intensified when used in conjunction with full-spectrum hemp CBD. To relieve hot spots, allergies, and bug bites, CBD Dog Health’s SOOTHE salve combines honey with full spectrum hemp CBD, hemp seed oil, coconut oil, beeswax, and ginger essential oil for a refreshing blend.
You should see a difference within just a few days of using honey topically, and a few weeks if you are using honey orally.
Manuka honey can be found in our Soothe salves. Manuka honey is a type of honey that’s native to New Zealand. Bees that pollinate the manuka bush are responsible for developing this therapeutic honey. It’s distinguished from other types of honey due to its potent antibacterial properties.
Its active ingredient, methylglyoxal, is thought to be responsible for the antibacterial healing effects. Manuka honey also has antiviral, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties.
In fact, it has been used since ancient times to manage wounds, soothe sore throats, prevent tooth decay, and improve digestive problems.
SOOTHE is an all-natural, Full Spectrum Hemp CBD salve made with simple, high quality ingredients, including Manuka Honey. Designed to target inflammation and reduce the effects of hot spots, allergies, bug bites, dermatitis, and more! This combination of synergistic herbal remedies also includes ginger, coconut oil, arnica oil, and our premium full-spectrum CBD. SOOTHE has the potential to address numerous common illnesses, including: Alopecia, allergies, hot spots, dermatitis, itch inflammation, bug bites and more!