Is Hemp Seed Oil an Essential Oil?
Hemp products are often lumped together with a negative stigma. Whether it is the common misconception that hemp is the same thing as marijuana, or the idea that hemp will get you “high,” the incredibly positive benefits of hemp seed oil are often overlooked.
Each part of the hemp plant has a different therapeutic benefit. Aside from extracting CBD from the flowers of the plant itself, the oil extracted from the hemp seeds also has incredible benefits for people and pets.
Hemp Seed Oil Explained
Hemp seed oil is an essential oil extracted from the seeds of the hemp plant. The safest extraction method used to make this oil is through CO2 cold press extraction. This means there are no added chemical solvents. And, it does not contain THC.
While the oil extracted from the hemp flower has the most active number of cannabinoids, the oil extracted from the seeds also contains compounds that are beneficial to overall wellbeing. These compounds include GLA and the perfect ratio of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids. You would have to take several other supplements to get the same benefits you will find in just one dose of hemp seed oil. It’s also important to note it contains a healthy dose of protein, which can benefit every pet.
Hemp Seed Oil Benefits
- Better than fish or flax seed-based oils. There is naturally a perfect ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids (3:1)
- Moisturizes a dog’s skin and fur correctly with virtually none of the side effects of fish oil
- Can reduce and improve numerous skin disorders in dogs, including dry nose, acne, eczema, rash, and dandruff
- Enhances blood circulation and stimulates a dog’s cognitive thinking
- Thickens fur texture and lessens shedding
- No psychoactive effects.
- The Journal of Arthritis and Rheumatology found GLA in hemp seeds reduced arthritis symptoms by 25%; compared to placebo at 4%
- Contains less than 10% saturated fats and 70-80% polyunsaturated fatty acids
Hemp seed oil is safe for dogs to consume in its raw, natural form. When combined with full-spectrum CBD tincture, hemp seed oil is even more beneficial to pets. For example, HEAL Full Spectrum CBD from CBD Dog Health contains both hemp seed oil and full-spectrum CBD, as well as MCT oil, which not only works to reduce inflammation but is used to shrink tumors and stop seizures.