The prevalence of cancer in dogs has been estimated to be around 50 percent. This means that at some point in its life, your dog is likely to be diagnosed with cancer. Just how will you help your pet to cope with the condition?
While conventional treatments for cancer can help, they can also have negative effects on your dog. For instance, chemotherapy can make the dog develop symptoms such as loss of appetite, diarrhea, and vomiting. Canines may also get irritation in the skin, hair loss, and neuropathic pain.
Luckily, cannabis plants – including hemp plants have been established to contain certain compounds which are useful in treating cancer in dogs. In this write-up, we examine ways in which cancer manifests itself in dogs and how extracts from cannabis sativa can be useful in treating it.
What Is Cancer And How Does It Manifest Itself In Dogs?
Cancer is the abnormal multiplication of cells in parts of a dog’s body. The growth in cells is usually uncontrollable thus posing danger to normal cells. Apart from killing normal cells, cancer prevents proper function in the dog’s body.
However, cancer hardly manifests itself in the same way. Depending on the part of the body affected by cancer, the disease can have different effects on the body, generally. Even though terminal, cancer is still treatable.
The following are some of the parts of a dog’s body affected by cancer:
- The skin. A large number of dogs are exposed to skin cancer. The good thing is that most of these cancers are characteristically benign.
- Mammary glands. Just like human’s, female dogs tend to have a high incidence of breast cancer. However, almost half of all breast cancer and benign.
- Head and neck. Most dogs with cancer get it in the mouth. Due to its malignant nature, mouth cancer requires aggressive treatment. In addition to that, dogs may get tumors in the neck and nose. Luckily, mouth cancer is easy to diagnose. It is characterized by abnormal gum growth, bad odor, and bleeding. On the other hand, facial cancer causes bleeding, facial swelling, and breathing difficulty.
- Lymph nodes also develop a type of cancer known as lymphoma. Lymph nodes across the body enlarge abnormally and sometimes in a very aggressive way spreading cancer to other parts of the body.
- One of the most cancers in dogs is that of the testicles. It makes the dogs have retained testicles which are usually lodged in the abdomen.
- The abdomen. It is also common for dogs to have abdominal tumors. Some of their symptoms include weight loss and abdominal swelling. This type of cancer is usually difficult for vets to diagnose.
- Dogs over age seven are prone to bone cancer mostly in the legs. Symptoms include chronic pain, lameness, and swelling.
Benefits of Cannabis for Dogs with Cancer
Cannabis sativa contains several chemical components known as cannabinoids, which could be important in treating cancer. Key among these is cannabidiol (CBD). Several studies carried out on CBD have shown that it has the ability to manage cancer symptoms without causing unnecessary side effects. Additional evidence has also shown that CBD can curtail the spread of cancerous tumors in the body.
Hemp plants are helpful to dogs with cancer by:
- Helping Manage the Symptoms of Cancer
Just like humans, dogs have an endocannabinoid system, which is stimulated by CBD leading to all kinds of benefits. Existing evidence shows that CBD has the ability to manage pain and inflammation. It is also a proven solution to symptoms affecting the digestive system such as nausea and vomiting.
Thus, CBD can be useful for animals that develop these symptoms due to the effects of conventional cancer treatment. By managing pain and inflammation, it helps dogs with cancer to better cope with life.
- Stopping Cancer Cells from Growing and Spreading In the Body
Research on marijuana plants has shown that some of its components including CBD have the ability to curtail growth in some cancer types. While these studies are preliminary in nature, they promise to revolutionize the way people treat cancer in dogs. The active chemicals in cannabis sativa lead to apoptosis (suicide of cancer cells) which prevents cancer cells from continuing to grow. It also stops metastasis (cancer spreading through the bloodstream).
Given the foregoing, it is clear that components of marijuana plants can be very useful for dogs with cancer. Luckily, there are several cannabis-based products, which you can buy and give to your dog, including CBD Dog Health’s HEAL tincture. HEAL works through the endocannabinoid system and also contains hemp seed oil, which has helpful ingredients including GLA proven to help patients with cancer.
To learn more about how CBD can help dogs, visit www.cbddoghealth.com.
Author Bio – Jessica has been closely studying the cannabis industry trends from quite some time. Intrigued by the booming growth of this sector, she takes interest in penning down her views providing quality insight on current marijuana trends, particularly medical cannabis.